I originally made this recipe as an idea for a fulfilling smoothie (for a quick, healthy on the go “meal”). However, I realized it also serves as a great bowl to add delicious toppings to… so, make whatever time allows for. Tastes so delish, especially on a hot summer’s day.
Blueberry Oat Smoothie/Bowl
(Makes one large serving)
- 1 cup almond milk (preferably homemade) Note that plain water will do the trick too.
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (of course, other delicious berries will work too!)
- 1/8 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp ground flax seed (use only if you are going to consume immediately – the flax will gel up if it sits for very long. Been there, done that – doesn’t taste good. Please don’t use whole flax – your body can’t absorb it in that form!)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
- Additional toppings (optional)
Place the almond milk and oats in a high speed blender and blend until the oats are completely obliterated. Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until everything is incorporated well. Either pour into a tall glass and enjoy as a smoothie or pour into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings. I used goji berries, additional hemp seeds, additional blueberries, and pumpkin seeds. Walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, goldenberries, strawberries, bananas, cacao nibs, shredded coconut are also great ideas for toppers… whatever your heart desires!