By Meghan Rossi
Hello fellow foodies! You’re going to notice a trend pretty quick with many of my meals: healthy, fast, and bulk for leftovers!
Few things make me happier than realizing I just need to re-heat something for a quick, healthy lunch in the midst of a hectic day. So as often as I can, I try to cook large portions.
I present to you what I’m dubbing: Loaded Veggie Quinoa
Quinoa is fun to say, fun to eat, and not so neat if you spill it on your seat! Like that rhyme? Ha Anyways, here’s what I whipped up one night as a loaded side that turned into some GREAT leftovers for several meals.
- Olive Oil
- Your preferred variety of spices. Used in this recipe: garlic, ground pepper, tumeric, cumin, basil, cilantro.
- Black Beans
- organic or vegan cheese of your choice.
- Make four cups of quinoa per directions on the bag.
- In separate skillet begin cooking your favorite veggies. I did broccoli and zucchini for this particular dish. You could do any hearty veggies you love: zucchini, squash, eggplant, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, bell peppers… Yum!
- I started cooking my heartiest veggies first– the ones that take the longest to cook– and then add veggies as it cooks. I use olive oil as my base and build taste with a variety of spices depending on my mood: garlic, fresh ground pepper, tumeric, cumin, basil, cilantro… Any mix your nose delights in at the time.
- Separately I will rinse and drain a can of organic black beans and a can of chickpeas. Cool these in a sauce pan with a little olive oil for a few minutes to get warm and toasty.
- Once the quinoa, veggies, and beans have all cooked I combine in a very large bowl. Mix in some extra olive oil and garlic, pepper to spice it up.
- slice up some tomatoes and avocado and add in for a nice fresh kick.
- Sprinkle some organic or vegan cheese on top for extra yum yum good!
- Serve as a main dish or hearty side to any meal!
What are your favorite quinoa recipes? I’d love to hear and try them out.
Happy eating fellow foodies!