Hello GGIL Team! These quirky slices of deliciousness may sound odd to some people, but as long as you like the individual ingredients, you’ll probably like these crazy quesadillas. I always use plain yogurt in place of sour cream, so feel free to use sr. cream instead. These are kinda hard to flip, so if you prefer, put your burner at it’s very lowest temperature and with the lid on, you will be able to get that ooey gooey cheesy goodness and other ingredients warmed up – just really watch the bottom tortilla to be sure it’s not burning. Another option would simply be to do a half recipe and just use one tortilla, folded over (way easier to flip).
Smoked Gouda and Apple Quesadillas
Serves one hearty appetite or split with someone as a great appetizer.
- 2 tortillas of choice (I went with gluten free)
- 1/2 cup refried beans (I used black beans)
- 1/2 an apple, sliced very thinly
- 2 ounces smoked gouda, chopped into small pieces
- 2 ginormous handfuls of baby spinach
- Plain yogurt (garnish)
- Favorite salsa (garnish)
- Favorite guacamole (garnish) see my homemade recipe on Go Get It Life! (https://gogetitlife.com/ourstories/4320/)
- Favorite type of fat to cook in (olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, butter, etc)
Over low heat, in a skillet, gently melt the fat and add your washed baby spinach and sauté until wilted. Drain excess liquid from the spinach. Schmear your refried beans onto one tortilla, top with the wilted spinach, the apple slices and gouda chunks. Place the other tortilla on top and gently place in the skillet. Warm over low heat with a lid on. After a few minutes, carefully flip over to the other side and gently warm for a few minutes until the ingredients are warmed and the cheese is melty. Slice into wedges with a pizza cutter and serve with the garnishes. hugs, Shannon