With the holiday season in full swing, we tend to put ourselves on the back burner and focus on making it all perfect for everyone else. The unfortunate part of that is that it can affect your mental, emotional, and physical wellbeing. You can feel it with lower energy, feeling run down, and it can even make our immune system more susceptible so that we get sick easier which at this time of year let’s face it there is no room on the “to do” list for that.
To be present and enjoy all the festivities with loved ones, we also have to take the time to take care of ourselves. While we know self-care is essential, at this time of year, it may not be as easy to do between school concerts, gift/food shopping, company, and anything else that comes up. But you are worth it, you matter, make the time to care for your wellbeing. Now, that sentence may make you feel a little guilty or that you’re selfish, but remember, you have to take care of yourself to entirely be there for others. So, remember, ‘tis the season for self-care.
Self-care is real and something that you should add to your life routine regularly. Give yourself permission to relax and recharge, so think about what self-care means to you and write it down. It is not an escape from your life but taking care of yourself.
Below are a few self-care ideas that you can do either alone or incorporate it into a family activity.
- Sit with some water or tea and read a magazine or a book that has been waiting for you on your shelf.
- Go to the gym for a workout or yoga.
- Create a playlist or play some of your favourite songs and dance it out around your house.
- Go for a walk around the neighbourhood or on a trail that you like.
- Get bundled up at night and sit on a blanket to watch the stars.
- Forgive yourself. No one is perfect, forgive yourself for your mistakes don’t hold on to them. Put your hand over your heart, closing your eyes and say out loud why you forgive yourself.
Until next time.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!