“Don’t let your mind bully your body into believing it must carry the burden of its worries” Astrid Alauda
By Sarah Wylde
Whether it’s because of school, work or financial reasons we all have some level of stress in our lives. Carrying around that extra tension can damage our long-term physical and mental well being. We experience stress because our brain is communicating with our body saying that there is a threat happening. The body’s defenses are trying to protect us by using the stress response or the fight-or-flight. Our body releases adrenaline and cortisol giving us what we need to react to the situation. Physically, it is felt through faster heartbeats, tightening muscles, rise in blood pressure and breathing faster. Prolonged stress has been known to increase the chances of anxiety, depression, insomnia, and autoimmune issues.
Finding a healthy way to decompress and relax so you can take care of yourself is not selfish. We all need to have personal time to look after ourselves. There are many options available to help combat stress, however, sometimes cost is an issue. Here is a list of ways to relax that have little to no cost:
- Take your favorite book or one you have wanted to read and go to the park or sit by some water. Leave your phone at home or turn it off if you take it with you.
- Try yoga by finding a free class, or you can use YouTube to practice in your living room
- Have an electronic free day once a week. Turn off your phone, don’t use your computer, stay off social media and no T.V.
- Find a quiet place and meditate focusing on your breathing. You may even want to light a candle and use essential oils. Just five minutes of meditation a day can help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression leaving you feeling calm.
- Take a warm bubble bath with essential oils
- Have a home spa day where you paint your nails and do a face mask with a cup of herbal
- Take a peaceful walk in nature
- Make a coffee date with a friend to talk and catch up
The main thing is finding the relaxation technique works best for you. Hope this helps you!